Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Tie Dye Cupcakes & Valentine's Day Cupcakes

While searching on the the web I saw where someone had posted a lady's blog, The Omnomicon that contained the following recipe for a tie dye cake. It looks amazing and so fun. So with J at work today and knowing that he MAYBE got 3 hours of sleep before he had to be at work I decided to bring him cupcakes and the rest of the crew as well.

I made two batches of these. The tie dye version and red/pink/purple version for Valentines Day coming up. Ingredients:
1 Box of Betty Crocker's White Cake Mix (sure go ahead and make it from scratch if your heart so desires.. mine didn't :)
2. Sprite Zero You'll Need 16oz (I never knew you could cook with soda :/ It was strange to me but then I found out a lot of people do it to cut out fat and such.. I bought a 2L because it was more cost effective and lets face it $1.98 for a L is cheaper than paying $6.00 for the 6pk of 16ozs)
3. Food Coloring (Recipe suggests gels but I had the liquid kind so I used it and didn't have a problem.
4. Cupcake Sheet (I used a 12 silicone cupcake pan & a 12 metal mini cupcake pan.)

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350F. If you have a KA Mixer, use it. First dump the cake mix into large mixing vessel. Second add 16oz of the Sprite Zero. (You can def. omit this and follow the cake mix's directions to add the 3 egg whites, 1/3 cup of Veg. Oil, and H2O.) Mix together. Mixture will be lumpy, that's okay.

After batter is prepared have 4-6 different small mixing bowls ready to portion out the batter. Portion about 1/2 cup into each small bowl. I had 5 Colors, Red, Blue, Green, Orange, & Purple.
Purple: Red & Blue Orange: Red & Yellow.. FYI.

Spoon about 2tblspns of 1st color into each cupcake hole. Then use the next and use less of that color, spoon next color using less than 2nd color..etc..



Follow baking directions on box. If you are using the soda method then add 5-10 more minutes to baking time checking every few mins. I used a silicone baking pan and for the large cupcakes it took about 23mins.



Here Are The Pictures Of My Valentine's Day Cupcakes.




To make chocolate designs just melt semi sweet chocolate in microwave for 30seconds and then 15second intervals until melted. Place in piping bag, cut small tip and draw designs on wax paper. Let cool and place :)

1 comment:

gaga said...

What a great idea of making rainbow cupcakes. What a lucky hubby you have. Enjoy your vday!